Border Police History and Symbols


In ancient times, when the Georgian people living near the border found themselves in unbearable conditions due to the frequent attacks from neighbouring countries, Georgian kings decided to form a Coast Guard and deploy them in the fortified towers. At that time, the nobles living near the border had the responsibility to protect the state border. Their primary duty was to protect the border of the country and to guard the boundary markers.

On the boundary markers (samani stones) of the United Georgia can be found a stylized image of Asomtavruli letter J (Ⴟ). This image has been known since I-II centuries and is depicted on the tombs of the Pitiakhshi of Kartli. From the time of Queen Tamar, the symbol was engraved on boundary markers (samani stones) and coins.

In May 1918, the newly formed Georgia, in the very first days of its existence, was faced with a need of reliable border protection. The Georgian military was first to recognise this, therefore, it was decided to create a Coast Guard within the Ministry of Military. On November 6, 1918, the Minister of Military, Grigol Giorgadze sent the draft law on the Staff and Estimates of the Coast Guard for approval to the Chairman of the Parliament of Georgia, Nikoloz Chkheidze. The draft law stated: “We need well-equipped Coast Guard to monitor both the sea and the land coastline, to prevent the smuggle of illegal weapons and contraband and the illegal entry of the armed mobs.”

In 1918-1921, the Coast Guard was subordinated to the Ministry of Military. In addition to their duties of controlling borders, the border guards fought alongside other units of the armed forces as infantry units.

Prior to the reorganisation in July, 1919, 4,820 officers and soldiers served in the Coast Guard. 3 detachments were formed, each with 4 divisions and 12 precincts.

  • N1 Black Sea (Sokhumi)
  • N2 Manglisi (Manglisi)
  • N3 Dariali (Dusheti)
After the reorganisation, the staff of the Border Guard included 3,116 officers and soldiers.
  • Commander: Stepane Akhmetelashvili
  • Division: 37 person (Tbilisi)
  • Tbilisi Guard Battalion - 686 people
  • Poti and Akhaltsikhe Detachments, each including 461 person
  • Sokhumi, Shulaveri, Dariali and Sighnaghi Detachments - 359 person
  • Fleet: 35 sailors and 3 boats (Little Kakhi, Tariel and Avtandili)

On May 26, 1991, Georgia regained its independence and resumed the difficult process of establishing various vital state institutions, including the Border Service.

  • On August 8, 1992, the Decree of the State Council on the Protection of the State Border of Georgia was issued;
  • In 1992 the Georgian Border Service was established and was granted the status of the Main Division of the Ministry of Defence;
  • In July 1994, the Main Division of Border Protection was separated from the Ministry of Defence, and in March 1996, the State Department of Border Protection was established;
  • In 1998, the Law on the State Border of Georgia was adopted;
  • In 1998, the Coast Guard of the Border Guard Department was established, and in 1999 - Border Aviation;
  • By order of January 6, 1999, March 21 was declared Border Guard Day;
  • In October 1999 the last Border Unit of the Russian Federation left Georgia;
  • On February 11, 2004, the State Department of State Border Protection became part of the Ministry of Internal Affairs as a state sub-agency;
  • On June 28, 2006, the State Border Protection Department of the Ministry of Internal Affairs was transformed into a law enforcement agency - the Georgian Border Police. 


  • The coat of arms of the Georgian Border Police is a round oriental shield, with a vert field in the centre depicting Queen Tamar’s signature.
  • The symbol depicted in the centre of the coat of arms of the Border Police is a saltire, which was displayed on the boundary markers (Samani stones) and marked the end of the territory.
  • The round shield has been a means of protection for Georgian horsemen for centuries.
  • The shield bears 52 sun rays, which is an allegory of the number of weeks in a year, while the sword depicted on all four sides serves as orthodox cross composition.